Tuesday 2 April 2013

1st April 2013: Bilingual '60's and '70's songs

This is a blog I wrote for my old job:



It's far from accurate to translate "runaway" as "Vanina," or "comme d'habitude" as "my way." There have been a number of bizarre transpositions like that in pop history, where a singer from abroad like a song and have just hung their own lyrics on it.
I recommend looking up the lyrics, and also comparing the visuals.

ONE

Runaway, Del Shannon, 1961.


versus

Vanina, Dave, 1974.


TWO

Comme D'Habitude, Claude François, 1967.


versus

My Way, Frank Sinatra, 1971.


THREE

The LocoMotion, Little Eva, 1962.

versus

Locomotion, Sylvie Vartan, 1962.


FOUR

Laisse Tomber les Filles, France Gall, 1964.


versus

Chick Habit, April March, 1995.


I'm putting aside single artists who decided to translate their songs to make themselves more marketable abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment